Monday, June 27, 2011

I love cloth!

Who knew diapering could be fun? Yes, I know I'm crazy but I love knowing that my choice creates less of an environmental burden than disposable diapering and saves us loads of money (between $1,000 and $2,000!!!). They really are not as difficult or icky as some might imagine. There's no pinning, no soaking and no need to shake anything out in the toilet. I also love this make-shift clothesline Mark put together for me. The sun truly is the best disinfectant! The diapers come off the line spotless and completely non-toxic (no chlorine bleach for my family thank you). Using the clothesline reminds me of my Grandma Nora and makes me look to simpler times when people weren't too busy to appreciate the little things in life.
Oh, and did I mention how cute the diaper covers are? And the cute onesie and burp cloth were a gift from Mark's talented sister Julia. I love the elephant.
I don't know what's come over me but I am just enjoying motherhood so much more these days. I guess I am finally starting to grasp how precious this time is with my children and that doing what's best for them is truly worth any amount of extra effort on my part.
Which is why we are also practicing natural infant hygiene (frequently referred to as elimination communication or ECing). I am just in awe of how intelligent little babies are! Even if our culture tells us otherwise.
I look horrible here (right after a workout) but this picture just reminds me how special it feels to share this experience with my baby. I only wish I would have started earlier . . . like six years earlier!

3 comments:

Melodie Anne said...

Seriously, everyone I know who has tried cloth diapering loves it! But I'm not sure if I would do it... luckily I don't have to make that decision any time soon. Or any other child related decisions. As for "ECing", I've never understood why more people don't do it- doesn't it just seem like the most natural transition from diapered to potty-trained? It seems so easy. Maybe it's not. I have no idea.

Cute kids! Glad you like them!

Jamie said...

you're amazing tamber! it warms my heart to see little oliver in my boy's clothes.

Katie said...

I feel the same way about being a Mom now. I remember thinking all these things (and more!) would be too much work, before I discovered how beneficial they really are.